06 October, 2009

The Veggie Patch!

With a few days off over the long weekend I was able to get into my garden. I have been saving the cardboard toilet rolls for ages now and used them to put my seeds in as my veggie patch is not ready to plant and we are still experiencing a few days of frost. I also used the plastic strawberry containers, I find them good because you just shut the lid and you have an instant miniature glass house.
The guys haven't finished with this ditch yet, it connects the power to the shed and goes right through my patch. They promised it will be finished with the next few weeks and they will close the ditch and put my lovely soil back on top.

These are my leeks and spring onions which are going great, they are a no fuss vegetable and grow really well (and I haven't killed them off yet).


I bought some Russian Sage at a garage sale on the weekend. I don't use sage very much in my cooking but now that I have some growing I will have to start.


In this old water tank I put the Russian Sage, Oregano, Lemon Balm, Peppermint,Thyme, and Chives. I have another tank beside this one which I prepared for what I am not sure yet. I'm not very organized and will plant out my garden as I go. I ask my neighbour/farmer yesterday if he could come up and plough part of a paddock for me as I want to plant a crop of potatoes, corn and pumpkins, so hopefully in the next two weeks after he has finished shearing he will bring up his tractor :)

My cabbages and Broccoli are still growing well considering they were surrounded by weeds which I pulled out. I still have a lot of work and weeds to get through before the patch will be ready for planting out.





1 comment:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

A lot of great tips and ideas for gardening. I read about using stock tanks as raised beds a while ago in a magazine article and though it would be a great way for me to have a garden in our very rocky hard soil. I will have to try that this next Spring.
I also love the idea of the toilet paper rolls! We go through a lot and I have a bunch I've saved for crafts but never use. lol!

How interesting that you planted a Russian Sage, too. They grow wild in our area. I never thought of harvesting them.

~Lisa

Farewell "Buddy Surprise"

Farewell "Buddy Surprise"