16 June, 2008

Pork Chops

This weekend has come and gone and life is lot busier at the moment while Dave recovers from his accident. I checked my veggie patch this morning and the weeds have started to grow from neglect, the caterpillars are having a feast on my caullies and cabbages. I was really hoping to extend my garden and put up my glasshouse we bought off ebay for $9.99, but I guess it will have to wait till Dave gets his cast off.



I have been thinking of doing a no dig garden, for my veggies and the new garden I want to put in the front yard. From memory I think you put down blood and bone, a layer of newspaper ( I can buy a bundle from the local newsagent's for $2) then a layer of lucerne hay (local farmer $5 a bale) the manure/compost (trailer load under the shearing shed) ,blood and bone, lucerne hay and a good layer of compost. I'll probable check on a few web sites for information but it sounds a lot cheaper and less painful doing it this way.
There are a few jobs I can't do that Dave normally does like get firewood but thank goodness for having good neighbours and the art of barttering (pork chops for firewood) and I still have at least 80kgs of pork in the freezer. Another job I have to accomplish is water supply, we use a 1000L drum for our washing machine and toilet water but this needs filling up and with the drought kicking back in again I have to get it from town. I travel to town everyday and when I need water I load up about 24 x 25lite drums and strap them on the ute, which is easy but it is the unloading of the full drums I have to empty into the large drum that is the problem. Maybe I can hand out a few more pork chops !!!!

No comments:

Farewell "Buddy Surprise"

Farewell "Buddy Surprise"